Thousands of people move to Austin or relocate within Austin every year because of job changes. In a city growing by 110 people per day, the complaint we hear most often centers around traffic. The majority of the renters we see are hoping to find an apartment that fits their lifestyle and allows for a reasonable commute to their place of work. With that in mind, we wanted to give some insight into Austin’s largest employers and the rental options that surround them. This is the twelfth in a series of articles titled ‘Minimum Commute, Maximum Lifestyle’ and will focus on the University of Texas at Austin (UT).
The University of Texas at Austin was founded in 1883 and has more than 50,000 students, making it the fifth-largest college by enrollment in the country. The Chevron Corporation recently announced that they were making a $800,000 gift to the University of Texas to support programs in the McCombs School of Business, Cockrell School of Engineering and Jackson School of Geosciences.
UT employs more than 24,000 faculty and staff in a variety of positions on its Austin campus. Positions include Program Coordinator-Event Program Managers, (monthly salary starts at $3,666), Program Coordinator-IACUC Program Coordinators (monthly salary starts at $3,500), Building Attendant II-Night Shift Cleaning Workers (monthly salary starts at $1,907), Research Engineering/Scientist Assistants (monthly salary starts at $1,932), Marketing Coordinators (monthly salary starts at $3,750) and many more.
There are wealth of restaurants available in the UT area for students and employees to choose from for lunch. Fricano’s Deli is just west of UT in West Campus and serves delicious, fresh sandwiches in large portions. Dirty Martin’s has been serving up their “Kum-Bak Hamburgers”, homemade chips and fries to hungry Longhorns since 1926.
For after work drinks with coworkers, The Hole in the Wall recently celebrated its 40th anniversary and continues to delight Austinites with its diverse musical acts, large beer selection, and happy hour specials from 3-8pm Monday through Friday. The addition of the East Side King location in the back means you can even get a delicious bowl of Ramen or Brussel Sprouts Salad while you enjoy the music.
Save time on your commute to work at the University of Texas by living at one of the many apartment communities close to campus.
- The Marks Apartments are a two minute drive or 10 minute walk from the center of campus and were built in 1978. Featuring 1 and 2 bedroom units ranging from 550 to 785 square feet, apartments have spacious floor plans, exposed beams, vaulted ceilings, wood floors, and walk-in closets. The community has picnic areas and barbecue grills, 24 hour emergency maintenance, and is on the UT Shuttle Route.
- The Sandstone Apartments are a 14 minute walk or 2 minute drive from UT and feature 1-2 bedroom apartments ranging from 562 to 906 square feet. Built in 1986, the complex is on the UT Shuttle and the 20 Bus Routes and has covered parking, a fitness center, laundry facilities, a courtyard with free Wi-Fi and is within walking distance of restaurants, entertainment, and grocery stores. Units have spacious kitchens, large walk-in closets, and are cable ready.
- Volume Apartments are also 2 minutes by car or 16 minutes by foot from UT and were constructed in 1964. Recently remodeled, there are studio, one bedroom, and two bedroom apartments available featuring black appliances, cable included, solar screens, modern fixtures, and wood laminate flooring. The community is on the #20 bus route and has bike racks, a community courtyard, laundry facilities, barbecue/picnic area, and is dog friendly.
- Elan East Luxury Apartments are a 3 minute drive from campus and are on the UT shuttle route. Built in 2014, these brand new apartments feature studio, one and two bedroom units ranging in size from 505 to 1,287 square feet. Amenities include wood-style floors, kitchen islands with quartz counters, stainless steel appliances, large walk-in closets, and full-size washer and dryers. The community has 4 semi-private pool areas, an outdoor kitchen, bike storage with a repair station, a wellness studio, and is two blocks from the MLK Train Station.
- Delwood Station Apartments were built in the mid-1960’s and are a four minute drive or 20 minute walk from the center of campus. One and two bedroom apartments ranging from 642 to 848 square feet are available and feature ceiling fans, designer track lighting, large closets, wood laminate vinyl flooring and contemporary fixtures. The community is pet friendly, has a resort style pool, poolside grills, rentable storage units, and is on the 22 and 320 bus routes.
- The Mint Urban Apartments were built in 1970 and remodeled in 2013 and are a nine minute walk or 2 minute drive from UT. Studio to 2 bedroom apartments are available, ranging in size from 389 to 855 square feet. Apartments have large closets, energy efficient appliances, wood flooring, blinds, and are cable ready. The community is on the UT Shuttle Route, has a pool area tv and bar lounge, cabanas, fire pit, outdoor ping pong, coffee bar, and cyber cafe.
- The Sabina Apartments are a 2 minute drive or 14 minute walk from UT and were built in 2013. Offering one, two, and three bedroom floorplans ranging from 575 to 1,366 square feet, apartments feature 9.5′ ceilings, custom energy efficient lighting and ceiling fans, modern kitchens with stainless steel appliances, washer and dryers, simulated wood flooring, and custom cabinetry. This pet friendly community has a theatre room, parking garage, state-of-the-art fitness center, resort-style pool, and convenient elevator access.
These communities are just a few of the rental choices available to University of Texas employees. Our database features the most accurate and up-to-date pricing and availability for thousands of apartments across the city. We know that finding an apartment that allows for a short commute to work, has the amenities you want, and fits into your budget can be difficult. Our job as apartment locators is to provide valuable insight into each of your rental options so you can choose the best apartment the first time. Our services are free for our clients and can save you valuable time when you are searching for a rental. Call 512-339-4411 today to schedule your appointment or visit www.apartmentexperts.com to find out more about our apartment locator services.