It’s summertime, and the Texas heat is in full force! One of the great features most apartments have is a pool. While pools can be great fun and nice to cool down in, it is also important to remember safety and healthy swimming habits. The Center for Disease Control provides six steps for healthy swimming. Contact us today if you are looking for an apartment, we can find you a complex with an awesome pool for you to enjoy, and many other amenities you are looking for!
You can choose to swim healthy! Healthy Swimming behaviors will help protect you and your kids from recreational water illnesses (RWIs) and help stop germs from getting in the pool in the first place.
Here are six steps that promote Healthy Swimming:
Three Steps for All Swimmers
Keep germs from causing recreational water illnesses (RWIs):
* Don’t swim when you have diarrhea. You can spread germs in the water and make other people sick.
* Don’t swallow the pool water. Avoid getting water in your mouth.
* Practice good hygiene. Shower with soap before swimming and wash your hands after using the toilet or changing diapers. Germs on your body end up in the water.
Three Steps for Parents of Young Kids
Keep germs out of the pool:
* Take your kids on bathroom breaks or check diapers often. Waiting to hear “I have to go” may mean that it’s too late.
* Change diapers in a bathroom or a diaper-changing area and not at poolside. Germs can spread in and around the pool.
* Wash your child thoroughly (especially the rear end) with soap and water before swimming. Invisible amounts of fecal matter can end up in the pool.